We are big grilled cheese eaters in this house. The kids would eat them every day for lunch if I let them. National Grilled Cheese Day is on April 12th so we thought we’d give this old classic a twist by trying two new recipes! I’m not sure we can go back to the classic after trying these tasty ones.
Austin and Max love to help us cook so we let them help us build the chicken and waffle recipe (found below). For the recipes we used a lot of Great Value ingredients found at Walmart – Old Cheddar Cheese, Farmers Marble Brick Cheese and Naturally-Smoked Bacon – the works! To make both meals for our whole family it cost less than $30! Their Great Value items are so affordable and the quality is even better than the price point. You can see for yourself in the photos below. Both meals were so tasty and a huge hit with the kids. It’s nice finding great products without sacrificing the quality of the food you’re eating. Now check out these awesome recipes and join us in celebrating National Grilled Cheese Day!
Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 15 min
Yup, you read that right…Chicken and waffle grilled cheese. Your taste buds are probably watering, as they would be! Austin and Max wanted to make buttermilk waffles for this recipe from scratch, but to make it even easier for you, we linked to frozen waffles in the recipe below. The frozen waffles are a sweet substitution for bread, while the ready-cooked rotisserie chicken makes for fast, simple assembly. The boys loved pulling the chicken apart haha, anything that creates a big mess they find the most fun. You’ll love this delicious sandwich as you dip this deliciousness in maple syrup for added decadence.
• 8 slices Great Value Old Cheddar Cheese from 450 g brick
• 2 waffles
• ⅓ cup (80 ml) sliced rotisserie chicken breast strips
• 1 tbsp. (15 ml) butter
• ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
1. From the short edge of a 450 g cheese brick, use a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler to thinly slice 8 pieces of cheese, each about ¾” wide by 3-½” long.
2. Place 4 slices of cheese on 1 waffle. Top evenly with chicken, remaining cheese and second waffle.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, until cheese is melted and waffles are golden, about 10 to 12 min, flipping halfway.
4. Serve warm with maple syrup.
Tip: Try this sandwich with Great Value Mozzarella Cheese for a milder, super creamy taste.
Tip: For a perfect breakfast grilled cheese, swap the chicken for 2 to 4 slices of Great Value Bacon and top with a sunny side up egg.
Can I just tell you how delicious this was?! The kids and I gobbled these up in record time. I’m not sure regular grilled cheese is going to cut it from now on, but luckily it’s just as easy to make!
The second grilled cheese recipe we made was just as delicious and this one was mom and dad’s favourite. The boys preferred the waffles, but we couldn’t resist the avocado in this recipe.
Turkey, Bacon & Avocado Club
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 25 min
• 16 pieces, thinly sliced Great Value Farmers Marble Cheese (about ¾” wide by 3-½” long)
• 2 tsp. (10 mL) butter, softened
• 3 slices white bread
• 2 slices cooked turkey breast
• ½ tomato, cut into 3 slices
• ¼ avocado, thinly sliced
• 4 strips Great Value Bacon, cooked
1. Heat skillet over medium-low heat.
2. From the short edge of a 450 g cheese brick, use a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler to thinly slice 16 pieces of cheese, each about ¾” wide by 3-½” long.
3. Butter one side of bread slices. Lay 4 slices of cheese on 1 unbuttered side of bread. Top evenly with turkey and tomato slices. Top with another 4 slices of cheese and 1 slice of bread, buttered side up. Place in skillet and cook, covered for 6 to 8 min, until bottom slice of bread is golden and cheese has started to melt.
4. Flip and top with 4 slices of cheese, avocado slices and bacon. Top with remaining cheese slices and bread, buttered side up. Cook covered, until bottom is golden, about 2 to 3 min. Flip and cook, covered until bread is golden and cheese is melted, about 3 to 4 min.
5. Serve warm.
Tip: For a vegetarian version, omit the cooked turkey breast and bacon and prepare as directed.
Tip: Try this sandwich with Great Value Old Cheddar Cheese. Its sharp taste makes it another perfect match for this sandwich.
I can’t wait to have these for lunch today! Do you have any fresh new spins on grilled cheese sandwiches? I’d love to hear your favourites!
This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the Walmart Great Value Grilled Cheese Day program. In exchange for this post, I have received perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.